Name:
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States

I love spending time with friends and family (especially my wife Rachel and daughters Abbey and Julia).

Sunday, January 29, 2006

The Old Songs

As I rocked my daughter asleep tonight I found myself softly singing to her, "Jesus Keep Me Near The Cross." In fact, most nights I rock her to sleep with an "oldie." Songs like, "At The Cross," "I Know That My Redeemer Lives," "It Is Well With My Soul," and "Victory In Jesus." I love these songs. I like our contemporary songs as well but I must admit the old songs seem to have a little more substance. As Abbey drifted off to sleep I found myself wondering if she will ever know those old songs that her father and grand-father grew up on. I hope so.

The older I get the more and more appreciation I have for my heritage. Oh, I went through a stage when I was pretty cynical toward the Church of Christ but that time has come and gone. I am in debt to my parents and grandparents for the faith they instilled in me. And while ALL churches have their dysfunctions I have found that the heritage I belong to is one to be proud of. We are a pretty loyal bunch. The sense of community we experienced when Rachel was sick was incredible. For about a month or so we would receive cards in the mail everyday from "such and such" Church of Christ. Churches made up of people we did not even know, but nevertheless we would receive cards and phone calls from these "strangers in Christ."

I love my heritage. I love my brothers and sisters in Christ. And I love the old songs.

My prayer tonight is that one day Abbey will say the same thing.

Sleep well Abbey. And if you wake up crying...daddy knows a few good hymns.

7 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ah, Klint..that is so sweet! I, too love the "old songs" that I learned in my youth. Our congregation sings a lot of new songs also and they are okay, but I really enjoy the old ones better. I'm glad you are teaching Abby the old ones!!!! Keep singing, Klint!
Love, Mama Lou

9:15 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You don't know me, but I check in on your blog here and there to see how your wife is. Our family prayed for her when she was ill. I love so much what this blog said. Though I know there is good and bad in the C of C, there is with each and every denomination, religion. We are all human and selfish and therefore, divison and indifference will always occur. Yet, I love my heritage, too. the silly arguments over song choices, praise teams, sound systems, etc. will never stop me from loving where I came from, because that is where I met and came to love our Lord and Saviour. And to this day when I hear "It is well with my Soul," I cry in humility of what He has done for me. When I am washing the dishes looking out my window, I sing "Heavenly Sunlight" in memory of my dearest Gramama. And at night when I sing to my precious 3 and 1 year old, I, too, end up singing a hymn, usually "How Great thou Art." Thank you, Brother in Christ, for your thougts. I pray others will come across them and be just as touched. "May the God who gives endurance and encouragement give you a spirit of unity among yourselves as you follow Christ Jesus, so that with one heart and mouth you may glorify the God and Father of our Lord Jesus Christ." Romans 15:5
A Sister in St. Louis

1:43 PM  
Blogger Klint Pleasant said...

Anonymous:
Thanks for you kind remarks and insightful thoughts.
Klint

6:22 PM  
Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

Old songs or new songs? In the end it is all about what is in the heart of the believer and their relationship to the Creator. I hope Abigail might write some new songs of praise and lament that might bless future generations. We forget that when Martin Luther wrote Ein Feste Berg [A Mighty Fortress] that it was sung in the vernacular German and NOT in Latin. It would have been the equivalent of doing rap in church these days. I am thankful to have a son-in-law who is an answer to so many prayers uttered long ago. We love you Klint. We can't wait to come up and sing some songs with Abbey in February. We will do everything from "Jesus loves me" to some Third Day!

Abbey's Goofy Grandfather from St. Louis

7:43 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

I used to sing the old hymns to Max when he was little too. My favorites: "I Come to the Garden Alone", "What a Friend We Have in Jesus", "How Great Thou Art" and "Jesus, Jesus, Jesus, Sweetest Name I Know". I love that when you're holding a small child those are the things that come to mind. My fondest memory of my grandmother was sitting beside her on her piano bench while she played and sang these same songs. I hope and pray Max will do the same with his children someday.

8:13 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Klint, I enjoy checking your blog from time to time to get your perspective on how Rach and you guys are doing. I don't ususally comment but you struck a cord about the old songs. I do enjoy the new songs as well but I dearly love some of the old songs. I can really 'feel' them and I admit they also bring a flood of memories that I cherish. I sing the old songs when I am happy or need solace and I always loved singing the old songs to my kids and will continue to sing them to my grandchildren. I think they are here to stay at least for another generation or two. love you guys - ann haupt

8:55 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Klint:

I praise God for young people like you who still hold on to their heritage.

I love the old songs, having grown up on the old four part harmony. Remembering my Dad sing My Jesus I Love Thee and many more.

I too like some of the new songs, but when along I go back to humming the old songs of my youth.

I am so happy you are singing them to Abbey and praise God for your love and devotion to Rachel and Abbey. Continue to serve and love God. Ms. Jan

12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home