Name:
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States

I love spending time with friends and family (especially my wife Rachel and daughters Abbey and Julia).

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Oprah




I had to come home early today to watch Abbey because Rachel had a 5:30 appointment. Rachel usually has Oprah on so when I got home I sat down to watch it for a minute.


The topic was stay at home moms and how important that is to the raising of the family. However, what impacted me was a lady who had a six figure job and walked away from it to stay at home with her children instead of put them in a day care. She actually dropped her child off on the first day and the day care attendant said, "please bring a disposable camera next time, we would like to keep it here and capture any special moments with you child since you will miss them...that way you can at least have pictures." The lady went right home and talked it over with her husband, he supported her and then she proceeded to go back and pick her child up.


I realize some women need to work and that's fine. In fact, there are some days (particularly at the end of the month!) that I wish Rachel worked. But the point is, "Where are our priorities?" I have had a few chances to take coaching jobs that pay in the six figures. So far I have turned them all down because I know it would take me away from my family and knock me way out of balance. Maybe someday I will be wise enough and balanced enough to responsibly handle a job like that. I found myself thinking this week about those jobs and even considering if I had made a mistake not taking them.


Then I went home early today to be with Abbey and Oprah reminded me..."your doing the right thing."

5 Comments:

Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

I am thankful that you have a wife at home to care for Abbey! What would daytime TV be without Oprah?

9:07 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We do the opposite in our home, but for the same reason. I work and my husband stays home with the children. As a nurse, I work three nights a week, 12 hour shifts, and I spend the rest of time with my family.

My husband and I spend more time together than most married couples, and we are very jealous of our time together...we guard it fiercely. We love our time as a couple and as a family.

Yes, it would be easier financially if he went back to work, but we want our children raised by us. Now, that may change in the future, when everyone is in school, but for now this works.

7:45 AM  
Blogger Lauren said...

You and Rachel are wonderful, Godly parents and I Praise God that you both are being able to have this precious time molding the character of Abbey. She is going to be a woman who fears the Lord! I love you both so much and I miss your presence in Abilene:)

2:01 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Ok, I have seen Oprah maybe 3 times in the past year, but I happened to see most of this episode, too. It made me very thankful that I can stay home with my little boy, at least part of the week. Big thanks to all the daddies (or mommies) out there who work hard in a full-time job so that their spouse can stay home and be with the kiddos! And I can only dream to be the kind of fantastic mom that I know Rachel Pleasant is...

3:09 PM  
Blogger Charlie and Jennifer Senn said...

love the picture of Rachel and Abbey...you can just see the wonderful mother that I know Rachel is. and glad you were able to catch the Oprah episode, that is a blessing that Abbey has so much time with her family.

5:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home