Name:
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States

I love spending time with friends and family (especially my wife Rachel and daughters Abbey and Julia).

Tuesday, December 13, 2005

"God Will Be Who He Will Be"

Below is a comment that my friend and colleague, Scott Samuels posted a few days ago on this blog.

As long as I am "robed in flesh" I will struggle with the intersection of the rational and the mystical. I am challenged by Klint's thoughts and our discussions often revolve around this topic.
I share most of Klint's thoughts regarding prayer. I especially wish that we would pray for God's transforming work in our lives as much as we pray for Sister So-and-So to recover from her gallbladder surgery.
The older I get, the more I am humbled by the mystery of God and the necessity to simply surrender to Him in faith. My ability to understand is diminishing, not increasing, with age and maturity.
I certainly don't believe that God listens to our prayers, legal pad in hand, and then acts when enough righteous requests have been received. At the same time, I don't pretend to know how He does discern and act.
I know one thing that has helped my faith to mature. As I sat on the cold, hard, tile floor of Henry Ford Hospital with my friend Klint, I poured my heart out to God for his intervention in the life and death struggle that he and Rachel were engaged in. I had no where else to turn, no where else to go. I prayed in faith, knowing that He was able, not knowing what He would do.
I pray for one thing these days, that God will transform me and that the reality of His Spirit in me will accomplish something for His Kingdom.


I want to reiterate that God can do whatever He wants and is capable of everything and anything. My post the other day was meant to simply challenge us to examine our prayer lives and consider how we communicate with God. I have no answers and I certainly do not have the inside track on how to properly communicate with God. However, my best professors in College and the ones I learned the most from had the ability to think outside the box and get me to look at things in ways I never had before. I learned to doubt and question and more importantly, I learned that it is ok and even healthy to do that. I think Scott's comments are right on and provide an authentic case study on genuine prayer. Let's keep looking, doubting, questioning and walking the path of faith together. As my friend and mentor, Randy Harris says, "In the fullness of time, God will be who He will be."

Thanks for taking part in this discussion.

3 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nate and I have had numerous discussions on everything you've been talking about lately regarding prayer. God will always remain mysterious, but that's what makes him so wonderful and "magical". We're right there with you questioning yet praising every step of the way! Thanks for sharing all of your thoughts. Tell Rachel we're excited for her to get her skull back!!! Let us know how it goes as I'm sure you will.

11:22 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Klint, I do not know you personally but I think I love you!! I so appreciate all you have said and I was especially impressed with your comments on prayer. Having lost a son to a brain tumor (and he did have thousands praying for him), I always tell people that the miracle is/was not in the answer but in my family's acceptance to what was God's answer. Yes, I would have loved for Scotty to be healed but my prayer was always for me to accept what was God's plan. I know our prayers were answered-- because we love God and we know who was in control. Scotty was an awesome child, packing more in 12 years than most of us do in a life time. He had touched many lives and God was ready for him. Are we sad? Yes. Do we miss him terribly? Yes. Are we angry? No. I recently read in a blog, written by a mother of a sick child, that God was not off the hook for what he had done. I praise God I have never blamed God for what Scotty endured and I see the same in you. God nenver promised we would live on earth forever or that there would not be suffering--part of living is dying. I do want to say, I have known Rachel her entire life and I am so grateful she is healing. We all know God was not ready for her at this time and He appreciates all the prayers on her behalf. Thank you for letting me ramble--I mainly wanted you to know I appreciate your comments (including the part about Santa) and could not agree more!!

2:35 PM  
Blogger John Pleasant said...

Klint-For the past few months I have really enjoyed reading your thoughts. You challenge me on a daily basis. I am thankful to have a brother as yourself.

10:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home