Name:
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States

I love spending time with friends and family (especially my wife Rachel and daughters Abbey and Julia).

Wednesday, December 07, 2005

A Few Carry-On's

I became so involved as I was posting my comments last night that I did not remember a few "carry-on's." By "carry-on," I mean items that I could not fit into the comments at that time. Here they are. There are two situations FOR ME PERSONALLY when everything I wrote yesterday gets thrown out the window.

1) When I cry out in utter desperation

There was one time during Rachel's ordeal that I literally cried out to the Lord. When Rachel was being transported by ambulance to Henry Ford in the middle of the night a very scary thing happened. We were cruising along and Rachel seemed stable for the time being. All of a sudden a nurse poked her head up front and said, "step on it, were losing her and we may not make it to the hospital." I can still recall the nurse's voice and tone, it was a sickening moment. While we were hitting speeds of over 100 mph I remember literally crying out to God, "just get us to the hospital alive." Total despair, The thought consumed me in such a way that it simply poured out of me.

2) Intercessory prayer

I would NEVER turn down an opportunity to pray with someone. In fact, I'm in a prayer group on Tuesday mornings and I have been praying for a friend all week because he specifically asked me to. At that point it is doesn't really matter to me what the request is. Christianity is ALWAYS relational and I will always pray for anybody who asks. Furthermore, I believe at that moment I am simply interceding for them, so in a way it's that person's faith, but they may not have the energy to pray at that moment.


One more carry-on.

I should have clarified just what I meant by "laundry list and top 10 list" prayer. I was trying to make a point that prayer is so much more than taking a list to God and treating God as if he's a genie in a bottle and if you rub him the right way you just might get 3 wishes. I wonder if that prayer tends to be a little selfish. I was asking us to consider actually spending time with God, no agenda, no lists, just being in his presence and being transformed. Consider prayer not so much as a transaction, I give you something, I get something, but a relationship that focuses on transformation and allowing God's spirit to dwell in us.

These are simply thoughts, not threats. The day I stop questioning and searching is the day I cease to be a true Christian.

5 Comments:

Blogger Candy said...

Personally I prefer to climb in the box with God and be still, too. I long more to be transformed into who he intended me to be than anything else in the world.

12:57 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Candy:
Thanks for the remarks. However, your comment doesn't surprise me a bit. Say hello to the small group!

Klint

1:25 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

My son,

I have quitely read your thoughts for the past few months--remaining silent with you in your box. Please know how gateful I am for the way our Father works in your heart. You along with Kim and Johnny are my greatest spiritual teachers.

I continue to praise God for Rachel and her recovery. What a jewell you have for a wife. My angel, Abbey, is one lucky little girl. My prayer is she will grow to be the spiritual lady her mother is.

Continue to let the Almighty transform you into his servant.

I am a proud and indebted father.

p.s. we will continue our discussion on prayer!!

8:02 PM  
Blogger Klint Pleasant said...

Dad:
Thanks for posting my favorite comment. Means so much. Your wife is a jewel as well.

Klint

11:23 PM  
Blogger Eric said...

Both of you have jewels for wives. I am blessed to have one as well. I think that we are all card carrying members in the married way up club.

I have some other thoughts brewing that I will hopefully be able to put on keyboard and post soon.

Garth and Klint, I love and am thankful for both of you. And Klint, I think you are right the day we stop questioning and searching is the day we cease to be true Christians. If the Psalms (and Lamentations) teach us anything, it is that.

11:41 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home