Name:
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States

I love spending time with friends and family (especially my wife Rachel and daughters Abbey and Julia).

Wednesday, October 12, 2005

Dr. Mikelson / Dad / Life-Lessons


Dr. Mikelson was the original doctor that Rachel and I had an appointment with once we decided to get a second opinion. Dr. Mikelson is an Oncologist (cancer doctor) not a neuro-surgeon. If you remember from my retelling of the story, Rachel and I lived for about 5 days in limbo not knowing if her tumor was malignant or not. Unfortunately, I could not get my mind to stop thinking of the worst case scenario (malignant tumor, surgery, chemo, pain, limited time, planning a funeral, death and raising a daughter). I must admit those 5 days were the darkest and scariest days of my life. I did not know I could cry like that. It seemed like every hour or so I would just completely break down. For some reason I would cry the hardest when my parents were around. I recall one evening, my parents were leaving our house and we decided to pray as a family before they left. I did my best to hold in my emotions as I did not want Rachel to see me weak. However, I followed my parents out to the car (so Rachel would not see) and completely fell apart. I went on and on about Rachel probably having cancer, dying and raising a daughter, etc... I remember my Dad PLEADING with me not to jump to conclusions. He said, "Klint you have to take this one day at a time and focus on the here and now - we don't know what the diagnosis is yet, don't do this to yourself - we will deal with the news as we get it and whatever it is we are here for you." Although these words, to a degree, went in one ear and out the other, I still needed to hear them. I (along with my Dad) believe there is power in positive thinking.

Those who know me best know that I, more than anybody, don't like happy, glib, "everything will be just fine" statements. But my Dad is a lot smarter than me and he was right. I realize that a lot of people get a bad diagnosis and they don't experience the "season of healing" that Rachel and I are experiencing. However, all I know is that for the time being, Dr. Mikelson is not needed because my wife does not have cancer. I'm a father now, however, I'm still learning life-lessons from my father: Not all people are bad people, not all days are rainy days...And not all tumors are malignant.

Amen.

5 Comments:

Blogger Bradford L. Stevens said...

AMEN! The Lord uses all sorts of events to mold and shape us. Someday you will be able to pass on the advice you heard from your father. You are good husband and father and will leave a legacy worthy of your calling.

Brad Stevens
(Your very proud father-in-law!)

10:27 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Klint and Rachel;
To GOD be the glory!!!!! We're so happy to share in the good news. God is sooooo good! Prayers all over the US were offered up on your family's behalf. Enjoy the moment and congratulations and best wishes to you and your family.
Love,
Linda Morsher
1st. cousin of Brad and daughter of Mae Thompson Klein

3:55 AM  
Blogger Candy said...

I'm still basking in the rays of this miracle we were all a part of thru our prayers. It has been a pleasure to be a bystander witness. Give those girls a hug from all of us in Abilene. Candy

6:36 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Someone sent this to me and it is very timely. My 5 year old son Tyler was diagnosed with a brain tumor last week and my wife Laura and I are devastated. It is hard to stay positive and not think the worst. We will take it one step at a time and get through this, with God's leading the way. Thanks for this post!

Mark Stewart
Bloomington, IL

5:06 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Rachel and your family have been in my prayers since Hannah informed us of the situation with her sister. I am in awe of how God continually and without ceasing answers the prayers of His children. His Love never ceases and mercies never come to an end. Thank you for sharing your heart and when your family crosses my mind I will continue to pray for Rachels full recovery and thank God for the times in my own life He has loved me, healed me and forgiven me. What an indescribable awesome God!!!

5:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home