Name:
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States

I love spending time with friends and family (especially my wife Rachel and daughters Abbey and Julia).

Saturday, July 15, 2006

Tawas City, MI


Lake Huron is the lake that runs along the east coast of MI. I grew up speding my summers on beaches like this.



These are cabins that we used to stay in before bigger and better hotels were built!



Were going to Tawas tomorrow!

I grew up spending at least one week a summer in beautiful Tawas City, MI. Tawas City is a quaint little town about 3.5 hours north of Detroit on the shores of Lake Huron (one of the 5 great lakes). It has become a family tradition. My father grew up vacationing in Tawas and his mother (my grandmother) did as well. Pleasant's have been vacationing in Tawas for probably over 75 years.

I have so many fond memories of Tawas City vacations. The Pinconning cheese shop we always stop at on the way up, sandy cabins with no a/c, blow up rafts and intertubes, downtown shopping (Pendleton’s and Ben Franklin), the old Indian museum, the traditional walk up and down the boat marina, Dad tossing us into the waves when we were little, Johnny (my brother) playing with the bungee cord and getting stitches in the Tawas Hospital ER, luggage flying off the luggage rack on the old mini-van as we were driving up, cinnamon bread from the H&H bakery, jet skiing with dad (long story), blue moon ice cream and so many others.

I remember beginning to grow sick of Tawas in my teen years and having the feeling that it wasn't "cool" anymore and that I had outgrown it. And now, I can't wait to get up there tomorrow and enjoy a few days with my family. I plan to introduce Abbey to all the regular family traditions (except the sandy cabins with no a/c!!!) and she will enjoy it for a few years. And then there will come a time when she outgrows it and it won't be "cool." However, one day, along time from now, maybe she will take her children up to Tawas for the first time and start to pass on the same family traditions...and she will explain to them that for years the Pleasant's have been making memories in Tawas.

6 Comments:

Blogger Clint said...

cool but Abbey will not be a Pleasant then.

11:38 PM  
Blogger Klint Pleasant said...

She will always be a Pleasant just like Nicole will always be a Logue! How are you doing? I thought you were going to visit us in MI this summer.

8:59 AM  
Blogger Clint said...

to hot up there

12:41 PM  
Blogger Clint said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

9:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Klint! I think it's so neat you want to pass on family memories and traditions! When our Rachel was 15 or 16 - she decided she didn't want to go on anymore family vacations - she was "too old" for that........that year Dick, Nathan and I went to CA. (THAT couldn't even entice her!) By the second night, she was wishing she had come and now - even though she's 27 and married - she CAN'T WAIT to be with family and do things together. So even if Abbey gets a "too cool" attitude someday, she will one day think nothing is better than spending time with her mom and dad! I hope you and Rachel are doing well -- it was great having you in the Falls a couple of months ago. Come and visit when you get a chance - our door is always open!

8:00 AM  
Blogger Charlie and Jennifer Senn said...

Rachel - it's your old neighbor from Elam! Jennifer Berry Senn. I have kept up with you through Stacy. In fact, she said you all had a great visit last week. You are in our prayers & I'm so proud of Klint's blogging. He is very descriptive, caring, etc...you can tell he is a loving husband to you and a proud father to Abbey. Many blessings, Jennifer
p.s. I'm back in Alabama now.

11:37 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home