Name:
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States

I love spending time with friends and family (especially my wife Rachel and daughters Abbey and Julia).

Thursday, July 30, 2009

Blessings




Blessings come in many shapes and sizes.  I have been so fortunate to have been able to coach basketball for the past 11 years.  I have coached at all college levels and been both an assistant coach and head coach.  Moreover, I have had the privilege to coach some great players.  I was able to coach Antonio Gates (current pro bowl NFL tight end) at Kent State and John Edwards (former NBA player, Pacers and Hawks) as well.  Not to mention several players who have and are playing professionally overseas.   I recall one game while coaching at Kent State vs. Western Michigan Univ.  The game was back and forth the whole night, and the last 5 minutes of the game Antonio and WMU best player literally traded baskets.  All coaches on both benches just sat back and watched them go.  We had the last possession and Antonio hit a 15 footer at the buzzer.  It was truly an amazing moment and I remember walking back up to the locker room fighting back tears.  I was crying because I love the game so much and was so overwhelmed with the opportunities I had coaching (not to mention the emotional swings during that particular game).

All that being said, I think Trevor Huffman is the best player I've ever coached.  He had an incredible ability to "make plays."  I used to work him out and watch him make 30, 40 and even 50 3's in a row...going game speed.  The first time I ever worked him out was my first day on the job at KSU.  I had no idea who he was and I remember getting on him pretty hard and chewing him out a little.  I think that caught him off guard, but he appreciated it and had nothing but respect for our relationship and I was able to coach him successfully all year.  Trevor went on and worked out for several NBA teams.  There's no doubt in my  mind that he was an NBA player, but he got hurt while playing for the last spot for the Phoenix Suns and never recovered.  

Coaching basketball has been one of the great blessings of my life.

Above picture is Trevor with the Phoenix Suns...he is on the right.  I might add that Trevor worked all year to bench press more than me, but never could...true statement!!!  I was slow, but I was strong...key word is WAS.

1 Comments:

Blogger kimmy said...

You have done some very fun and exciting things! Those KSU games were soooo fun (especially the elite eight). I remember you staying up watching film most of the night, and insisting that Randy and I take the bed, while you slept on the floor -- thanks for that...by the way :).
You are a great coach!
Love, Kim

10:55 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home