Name:
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States

I love spending time with friends and family (especially my wife Rachel and daughters Abbey and Julia).

Saturday, July 19, 2008

Middle Reader

My friends in the academic world call me a "middle reader." Thats because I read a little bit of everything. It's not unusual for me (in the same week) to read a commentary on one of Paul's letters written by Gordon Fee or N.T. Wright and then read through a New York Times best selling fictional novel. I love to read. My main interest has been in New Testament theology and other spiritual topics such as pain and suffering, prayer and the spiritual disciplines (some of my favorite authors are Henri Nouwen, Walter Brueggemann, C.S. Lewis, N.T. Wright, Ann Lamont, Barbara Brown Taylor and many others). However, in the past few years I have really enjoyed secular fiction...I'm a sucker for a New York Times best seller (especially the ones with quirky titles). And I got to tell you...at times I get as much or more out of one of those then I do when reading something classified as "spiritual" or "religious." One of the best sermon ideas I have ever had came after reading "The Kite Runner" (New York Times best seller) a moving story about forgiveness and reconciliation. Another one that impacted me for months was "The Color of Law."

I recently finished "The Art of Racing in the Rain." I picked this book up because of its creativity (its written from the perspective of a dog). It was a great book. Its about a family of 3; father, mother and little daughter (and of course the dog). The mother gets cancer and suffers a long and painful death. Her in-laws then want sole custody of the little girl and the father is devastated. He is trying to make it as a NASCAR racer and is very busy and travels a lot. However, he loves his little girl more than life itself and drops everything to fight for her. The little girl so badly wants to be with her father but the grandparents "frame" him and he gets accused of sexually harassing a 15 year old girl. The grandparents are very wealthy and hire powerful attorneys. The father sells everything he has (including his house) and lives in his car just to afford legal counsel.

He eventually gets custody and is reunited with his daughter...but there are many twists and turns along the way that leave the reader impacted for weeks to come.

This summer has been a difficult one. Work is hard, my Dad has had some health concerns and I have a dear friend in Seattle that's fighting for his life. However, when I get the chance...my favorite way to relax and wind down is to sit in my leather chair (or up north on Lake Michigan!) and read a good book. I just need to meet a friend that owns a Barnes and Nobles because books can be expensive!!!!

Suggestions:
The Art of Racing in the Rain
Water for Elephants
The Tender Bar
The Tricky Part
The Color of Law
The Kite Runner
Riding the Bus With My Sister
Jesus Land
Clapton (autobiography)
Father Joe
The Road
The Five People You Meet In Heaven
The Year of Magical Thinking
And many, many more...!

2 Comments:

Blogger jpd said...

Hello from the Arkansas Delashaws!

Read ,Same Kind Of Different As Me!!
Great read. The Authors I understand are speaking at ACU this fall and it is now a required reading for all incoming students. Very moving book

Love to Rachel and Abbey!

3:30 PM  
Blogger Candy said...

Klint - Thanks for the list of suggestions! I'm also an avid reader and I can't wait to make my way through these. I loved Kite Runner too. I can definitely see how you got a sermon out of it. I wish I'd been there to hear it.

Please tell Rachel hello for me. We miss you guys and long for the old small group days.

9:21 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home