Name:
Location: Rochester Hills, Michigan, United States

I love spending time with friends and family (especially my wife Rachel and daughters Abbey and Julia).

Saturday, July 05, 2008

" I'll Go "

"I'll Go." Two of the wisest words I have ever said.

I was 19 years old and a Freshman at Abilene Christian University in West Texas. The spring semester was winding down which meant spring football practice was too. I still remember the conversation as well as the setting. I stayed late after practice to run some routes and catch some passes as the quarterbacks (who were competing for next years starting spot) worked on their timing. I walked into the football locker room to take off my pads and shower; most of the players were already cleaned up, clowning around and heading off to dinner. A sophomore transfer linebacker from Boise State (and only other player on the 100 member squad not from Texas) named Travis Bass was walking out of the locker room as I was walking in. I had just sat down at my locker to take off my pads and cleats when Travis made an announcement to all the fellas in my section of the locker room. He said, "Hey, when school is out I will be driving back to Seattle and I'm going to take the scenic route...anyone want to come with me?" On an impulse...and almost without hesitation I said..."I'll go." He said, "Great, I'll wait for you in the hallway and we'll go to the Bean together (the "Bean" is the cafeteria at ACU).

We ate that night together and then went back to his dorm room and talked most of the night. Although we had been teammates all spring (I transfered in second semester) we had never hung out and didn't know each other that well. We lived in separate dorms and because he played defense and I played offense we rarely interacted in practice (not to mention he was on first team and I was fighting for a spot on second team). However, we ended up hanging out every night the rest of the semester getting to know each other and planning our trip.

I still remember the day he drove his little blue Honda Civic to pick me up in my room as we headed off...the car was literally packed from top to bottom...every nook and cranny. We left Abilene and headed for Albuquerque, New Mexico...our first stop among many.

We drove thousands of miles and visited 11 states on our way to Seattle. That trip remains one of the highlights of my life...I still reflect on and cherish the memories that were made during those two weeks. Too many stories to even begin to tell in this post.

All that to say, saying those two words was one of the best decisions I ever made. Travis was and still is one of my most special mentors and friends. Since that trip we have spent countless hours together.

I could write pages about how our relationship blossomed since that day in 1994 and maybe one day I will. For now...I'm just grateful that I said..."I'll go."

Travis has been very ill lately. His medical doctor diagnosed him with ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease). He is fighting and I expect him to get stronger and recover...

...we have more trips to take.

4 Comments:

Blogger Clint said...

One thing you can say about your lives is that they have not been boring.

10:08 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing a piece of your journey. I enjoyed reading how you guys met. I know how much Travis loves you and your family.
Many times, when we say "I'll go", we only can see that immediate destination. The one that we have agreed to take. But unbeknowing to us, God has so much more. When you said "I'll go, you didn't know that it would turn into a lifelong relationship, a BEST friend, a brother in Christ, someone you would have long and deep conversations with for years to come. Someone that you would share your joys with or times of hardship. Are times that you just needed to talk, who would be on the top of your list to call.
It reminds me of God asking Isaiah, who will I send and Isaiah said "send me". When you told Travis "I'll go", you had no idea that the "go" would mean for a lifetime. Many journeys(physical, mental, and spiritual) of joy, thoughts, love, sharing intimate things, times of fear and pain, weddings and funerals. How each of you brought your friends into this relationship, to expand it into a family of memories.
Yes, your "I'll go" has blessed not only your best friend, but so many others. So Sherry and I thank you for accepting that offer and standing firm with your friend through thick and thin. For always being there for one another, no matter what!
The two of you have had a great impact on so many others and will continue to make this a better world. Yes, there will be many more years of the two of you bringing God's blessing into a world of need.
God bless you for GOING!

9:56 AM  
Blogger Klint Pleasant said...

Thanks David. You too have been a blessing to so many. I think about you and Sherry often.

Thanks for all your doing for Travis to help him get stronger!

KP

4:31 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Klint,

Thanks for sharing this wonderful story. If only we all could realize that a good life is about rationships with family, friends, and strangers - people that need a hand! May we all be ready to go with a friend - especially a friend in need - where ever the road may lead. I will treasure the brief walk in Tulsa with you and Travis. If all the hands that reach could touch.

9:24 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home